Scenic Drives in Vermont
There are many books written about great scenic drives in Vermont, including "Best Vermont Drives: 14 Tours in the Green Mountain State" by Kay Scheller and Bill Scheller and "Frommer's Great Outdoor Guide to Vermont & New Hampshire" by Arthur Frommer. The Vermont countryside is beautiful to see. Pack your family and your picnic and let's explore!
The spectacular drive up Mount Equinox in Manchester, VT is a great option. The toll road is open May through October, but make certain your vehicle is in good shape or you might have some trouble. When you get to the top, there's a short hike out to the lookout tower - it's a really great day trip from Ludlow and Manchester has so much more to offer, including outlet shopping, great restaurants and many outdoor and special events.
Another great all around trip beginning in Ludlow:
Take VT Route 103 South to intersection with VT Route 131, travel East on VT Route 131 through Cavendish and Whitesville, to intersection with VT Route 106 in Downers;
Take VT Route 106 north to Felchville, then turn left at the General Store onto Tyson/Reading Road and follow it to Tyson and intersection with VT Route 100;
Turn left onto VT Route 100 and follow it to intersection with VT Route 103; turn right and follow VT Route 103 to Healdville Road, turn left opposite Harry's Cafe and follow Healdville Road to Belmont, then straight through to Tarbelville and intersection with VT Route 155;
Turn left onto VT Route 155 to where it merges with VT Route 100; continue South on VT Route 100 through Weston to intersection with VT Route 11 in Londonderry; turn left onto VT Route 11 and follow it through Simonsville to Chester, then:
1) turn left and follow VT Route 103 north to Ludlow.
2) continue on VT Route 11 through Chester to intersection with VT Route 103 south, travel VT Route 103, under Interstate 91 to US Route 5, turn left onto US Route 5, following it north through Ascutney to intersection with VT Route 44, take it west to intersection with VT Route 106; follow VT Route 106 south to intersection with VT Route 131; take VT Route 131 west to intersection with VT Route 103, then turn right to VT Route 103 and return to Ludlow.
Points of interest along the way:
- Okemo Mountain Resort
- Fletcher Farm School for Arts and Crafts
- Mt. Ascutney State Park Toll Road
- Downers 4 Corners Covered Bridge
- Colby Pond
- Plymouth Kingdom Revolutionary War Cemetery
- Eureka Schoolhouse
- Hartness House
- Constitution House
- Green Mountain Sugar House
- Clear Lake Furniture
- Buttermilk Falls
- Crowley Cheese Factory
- Green Mountain National Forest
- Lowell Lake State Park
- Chester Village Green
Or, if you're more the type to join a tour, might we suggest Vermont Backroad Tours. Experience the 'road less traveled'! Hop on a scenic tour of the back roads of the Green Mountains of Rutland County - over covered bridges, mountain ranges, maple sugar tours and more. Custom tours available, handicap accessible.